Building Permits and Licenses. When are they necessary?

There are times when Building Permits and licenses are necessary to carry out your project. At MLZ Construcciones we will clarify this for you:

When renovating a house, one of the aspects that is frequently neglected is the bureaucratic one. In order for you not to encounter any problems, we will explain the necessary permits and licenses required to carry out a renovation at home, as well as the necessary documentation and procedures.

What are building licences?

Also known as a building permit, this is a document issued by a local council to authorise the owner to carry out a building work, renovation or modification. A series of fees must be paid and plans and other important elements must be provided.

How many types of licences exist?

Type I Building Licence

This corresponds to smaller works. These are the majority of works that are carried out on residential dwellings, buildings and commercial premises. For example:

  • Modification of partition walls that do not affect the structure of the building.
  • Refurbishment of floors, ceilings and walls.
  • Replacement of plaster, floors or veneers.
  • Renovation of electrical and plumbing installations.
  • Installation of heating

Type II Building Licence

Any major work that alters the features. For example:

  • Creation of new rooms or floors.
  • Alteration of structural elements.
  • Increasing the height of a building.
  • Partial or complete renovation.
  • Changing the use of a building, business, etc.

Declaration of Responsibility for the Construction Work

This allows a building work to begin without a building permit from the local council; this is a way of speeding up the work. There are far fewer documents to present than in the case of permits or licences. But the reasons must be endorsed by a professional, such as an engineer or architect. And they must be accompanied by the technical report or project.

Type I Responsible Declaration

This declaration corresponds to projects such as:

  • Renovation of private buildings with no view of the public road.
  • Works carried out in the basement, with the exception of expansions.
  • Remodelling of common areas of a building (without affecting structural elements).
  • Alteration of the number of flats in a building.
  • Creation of masonry walls and external fences, except if the public road is used for such work.

Type II Responsible Declaration

Some tasks that are subject to this procedure are:

  • Probing and testing carried out in a dwelling to determine its condition.
  • Preparing plots of land for the construction of a building.
  • Repair of minor (non-structural) damage.
  • Accessibility work.
  • Repair of damages to façades as well as painting and clean-up works, as long as they do not require the installation of scaffolding on the public highway.
  • Other carpentry work, waterproofing or canopies.

As you have gathered, Building Permits and Licences are essential to carry out building work on your home. If we know which procedures to follow, depending on the project, we will avoid being forced to interrupt it or being sanctioned.

The best thing to do, without a doubt, is to ask for advice from an expert company like MLZ. We will take care of all the paperwork so that everything is in order and you don’t encounter any problems. We are a Construction Company on the Costa del Sol with years of experience in operation to provide the best results for our clients.

Recent Posts

Start typing and press Enter to search